SIMS, Newell Le Roy
SIMS, NEWELL LE ROY: University professor and clergyman; born Jamestown, Ind., Dec. 3, 1878; son Charles and Elizabeth S.; educ. Tri-State College, Univ. Union Theol. Seminary; DEGREES: A.B., A.M., Ph.D., B.D.; married Florence Anna McNutt, Sept. 25, 1912; AUTHOR: A Hoosier Village, 1912; Ultimate Democracy and Its Making, 1917; The Rural Community, 1920; ordained 1904, held several pastorates in Congregational churches; professor of sociology and political science, Univ. of Florida, 1915; prof. sociology, Columbia Univ. Summer Sch., 1920; Rural Sociology, Mass, Agricultural Coll., 1920; mem. Amer. Sociol. Soc., Amer. Country-Life Assoc., Solvey Inst. (Russia); contr. to Amer. Journal of Sociology, Political Science Quarterly; The Survey, etc.; CLUBS: The Faculty, Columbia U.; OFFICE: Mass. Agricultural College; HOME: Amherst, Mass.
Source: Who’s Who Among North American Authors (1921), page 191, digital images, Hathitrust Digital Library (http://www.hathitrust.org : accessed 9 May 2020).
Captain Walter Sims, member 1790. On charter of 1808. Captain Sims married a daughter of Captain John Green, of the Roberts farm, near Newportville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, the first captain to carry the flag of the United States into China. In 1798 Captain Sims purchased an estate covering 361 acres where the Bristol (Pa.) College now stands, for which he paid 10,706 pounds. Later he removed to a plantation near Nashville, Tennessee, where he died, as noticed in Poulson’s Advertiser of February 4, 1820, on the 8th of January in that year.
Source: Robert B. Beath, Historical Catalogue of the St. Andrew’s Society of Philadelphia (1913), page 138, digital images, Hathitrust Digital Library (http://www.hathitrust.org : accessed 5 March 2020).
SIMS, William Edward
SIMS, Rev. William Edward, A. K. C., F.Ph.S. (Eng.), Vicar of Aigburth. Aigburth Vicarage, Liverpool. Born: July 21st, 1856, at Kennington, London; only son of William Sims, of Kennington, and his wife, Catherine Grinham. Educated: King’s College, London, A. K. C. (First Class); University College, Durham. Married: October 3rd, 1894, at Oxon, Salop, to Louisa Mary, youngest daughter of the late Rev. David Mountfield, M. A., Rector of Loftus-in-Cleveland, Yorks., and his wife, Susan Maria, third daughter of Charles Rice Heynes, M. D., of Banbury, Oxfordshire, and has issue four daughters: Barbara d’Oyly, born July 13th, 1895; Joan Haughmond, born December 16th, 1899; Audrey Mary Catherine, born September 26, 1903; and Margaret Mountfield, born April 5, 1905. Appointments: President of Literary and Philosophical Society, Liverpool, 1904-1905, and 1915-1916; Rector of Wembworthy, Devon, 1893-1894; Curate of St. Margaret’s, Westminister, 1889-1893; Christ Church, Turnham Green, 1884-1889; Newport, Salop, 1882-1884; Vicar of Aigburth, since 1895; Fellow of Philosophical Society of England, 1915. Recreation: Literature. Publications: Various lectures on literature, contributed biographical and other articles. Club: Athenaeum, Liverpool.
Source: Lancashire Biographies, Rolls of Honour (1917), page 351, digital images, Hathitrust Digital Library (http://www.hathitrust.org : accessed 6 March 2020).
SIMS, William H.
Dr. Sims holds a credible position among the physicians and surgeons of the Indian Territory, and has a large practice in Muskogee and the surrounding territory. He was born in Aberdeen, Mississippi, September 19, 1862, and is a son of Henry and Ellen (Vassar) Sims. The father is now living in Muskogee, but the mother died in 1865, when the Doctor was only three years of age. He pursued his education in the public schools of Aberdeen until sixteen years of age, and then entered the Tougaloo University, at Tougaloo, Mississippi, where he pursued a normal course. He was afterward a student in the Fisk University, at Nashville, Tennessee, completing his course in the year 1881. He then went to Arkansas, where he engaged in teaching school for a year, and later was the principal of the high school in Jefferson, Texas, for two terms. On the expiration of that period he went to Texarkana and was the principal of the city schools for six terms, or until 1889. He acquired his medical education in Howard University, at Washington, D.C., where he attended lectures for two terms. Returning to Texarkana, he practiced his profession there for two years. He afterward practiced for one year each in Guthrie and Chandler, in Oklahoma, and from the latter place went to Topeka, where he matriculated in the Kansas Medical College and attended an additional course of lectures. In 1893 he arrived in Muskogee, where he has since been in continuous practice, having a large and constantly growing patronage. In 1895 Dr. Sims was united in marriage to Miss Alice McLean, of Greensboro, North Carolina, and unto them have been born three children, two of whom are living – Grace and William Albert – and one has passed away. Socially the Doctor is connected with the Masonic fraternity. In politics he is a Republican, and in religious belief a Baptist, holding membership in the church of that denomination.
Source: D. C. Gideon, Indian Territory (1901), page 248, digital images, Internet Archive (http://archive.org : accessed 13 May 2020).
SIMS, William Scott
WILLIAM SCOTT SIMS was born in Warren township, Clinton county, Ind., January 19, 1855, son of Lewis and Courtney (Scott) Sims. Until twenty-one years of age he lived on his father’s farm; pursued his studies in the common schools, and when seventeen began teaching, which profession he continued during the winter of 1872-3 in Warren township. The following spring and winter he attended school, and for three terms he was a student in the National Normal school of Lebanon, Ohio, where he obtained a knowledge of the more advanced branches of learning. In the meantime, he taught in the township of Madison, and from 1876 to 1885 was similarly engaged in the town of Mulberry, and in the spring of 1879 spent three months in Wabash college at Crawfordsville. In 1885, Mr. Sims was elected superintendent of the Clinton county schools, the duties of which position he discharged in a very creditable manner for two years, and in 1887 became deputy county auditor under Wilson T. Cooper, continuing in that capacity about two and a half years. Subsequently, he held the position of deputy treasurer under William J. Barnett and W. T. Maish, and in 1891 engaged in the loan, abstract and insurance business, to which he has since devoted his attention. Mr. Sims has been a member of the school board of Frankfort for four years, and during his incumbency many improvements have been made, including the addition to the first ward school building and re-building the third ward school building, also the construction of the present magnificent high school building, the finest structure of the kind in the state. Mr. Sims has always manifested great interest, and during his term as superintendent he did much toward systematizing a uniform course of study and securing teachers of well known professional ability. He is a clerk of the board of turnpike directors, is public spirited in all the term implies, and all movements having for their object the public good find in him a zealous friend and liberal patron. He represents four of the largest insurance companies in the country, has in his office a complete abstract of every piece of property in Clinton county, and his loan and real estate business, with the two departments mentioned, is quite extensive and remunerative. Mr. Sims is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he has held the highest position within the gift of the local lodge, and also belongs to the Sons of Veterans. On the twentieth day of May, 1880, in the township of Madison, he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Kyger, daughter of James and Mary A. (Smith) Kyger, to which union three children have been born – two living at this time, Merlin and Cecil. In politics Mr. Sims affiliates with the republican party, and he is one of the few persons that holds a life license to teach in any part of Indiana, granted by the state board of education.
Source: A Portrait and Biographical Record of Boone and Clinton Counties, Indiana (1895), pages 857-858, digital images, Hathitrust Digital Library (http://www.hathitrust.org : accessed 15 May 2020).